Green computing or green information technology is an environmentally responsible & eco-friendly usage of computers and other resources. This term can further be defined as manufacturing, using, engineering, designing, & disposing of your computing devices that reduce our environmental impact.
The IT designers and sellers are now investing in producing energy-efficient computing machines, which will lower use of the dangerous materials & encouraging digital devices recyclability. The practices of green computing came to prominence in the year 1992, when Environmental Protection Agency launched its Energy Star program.
What is Green Computing?
Green IT generally refers to using computers and other resources in an Eco-friendly & responsible way. Green computing involves the study of designing environment-friendly & reusable computer and hardware architecture.
The goal of Green computing is the same as various other Green Evolution notions, to decrease hazardous materials in our environment as well as increase the viability and efficiency of this process. Green Computing procedure is important and must be practiced by everybody. This covers from the big multi-national company’s servers to a single personal usage system.
Most Corporate companies also are spending large investments to make their IT process eco-friendly.
What Goals Can Be Achieved By Green Computing?
There’re several measures used for designing production, use as well as disposal of the digital technologies so it’s sustainable. To this end, both the producers and users will contribute to integrating this green computing concept most comprehensively. It involves the fulfillment of the goals like:
- Socially conscious & fair work elements for the production
- Lowering resource & energy consumption during the hardware manufacturing
- Manufacturing resource-saving program
- Making the long-lasting hardware
- Recycling & energy-saving disposal
- Lowering energy consumption in IT use
- Implementing IT that will reduce emissions of various other products
- Avoiding hard copies
How Will Green Computing Overcome the Present Environmental Concerns?
Sustainable computing generally addresses different eco-friendly approaches, which will overcome various concerns that are raised by the IT industry.
Given below are some of the sustainable approaches and green computing, generally, includes:
When manufacturing any product, non-recyclable paints & coatings mustn’t be used on the computer systems. This system must be simple to upgrade and modulate when essential instead of producing the new one.
This refers to designing the computers and other electronic devices in a way that every process from production to disposal will be environment-friendly.
Green Standards and Policies
Such standards can help to compare, promote, as well as benchmark different products or services.
It’s considerable to buy new systems that are qualified as energy stars. This helps to reduce power consumption. Making use of green computing technology will bring down the energy costs to 74%.
It is an important approach that involves sustainable development & enlightens environmental awareness in society.
Never through your used and old gadgets; it is better to recycle them. There are companies that will extract valuable metals and parts and produce other things. You can also get some cash just by selling these gadgets.
Steps to Implement Green Computing Solution
No matter whether you are a person or business, given are a few actions that have to be taken that will ensure green use of the computers & electronics.
- Energy Efficient Design: Energy-efficient design generally includes heat recovery, air management & electrical configuration of the data centers that decrease energy consumption at a higher level. The modern data center includes waste heat recycling and electricity generation.
- E-Waste Recycling: This type of recycling is the reuse and recycling of e-waste like old computers and monitors. Rather than throwing this away, contribute to non-profits & charities or you can submit this to municipal and private recycling bodies.
- Using Energy Labeled Products: The energy star label product indicates the energy efficiency of an appliance like a TV that goes between 1 and 10 stars. The higher the number of stars the greater is the efficiency. Thus, you will go green just by buying the appliance on basis of the energy star.
- Telecommunication: It’s the work arrangement where people work from their home and using the internet, email, and telephone.
An average computer user may employ the following method to make the computing usage green:
- Use hibernate and sleep mode when they are away from the computer for an extended time
- Purchase energy-efficient computers, rather than desktop computers
- Activate power management functions for controlling the energy consumption
- Make right arrangements for the safe e-waste disposal
- Turn off your computers at an end of every day
- Refill the printer cartridges, instead of buying the new ones
- Rather than buying a new computer, you can try refurbishing the current device
Advantages Of Green Computing
- Decreased energy usage from the green computing methods translates into lower emissions of carbon dioxide, streaming from the reduction in fossil fuel that is used in power plants & transportation.
- Conserving your resources means using less energy needed to produce, and dispose of the products.
- Saving resources and energy saves money.
- Decrease the risk in laptops like chemicals that can cause cancer, immune reactions, and nerve damage among humans.
Disadvantages Of Green Computing
- The greenest modern computers are Mac books & Mac book pros.
- Such computers are a bit costly.
- Some people might require power-consuming & powerful computers for doing various tasks.
Various IT organizations across the world have already started using green computing technology and now it has become a primary part of their daily business operations.
Even in India, the IT giant Wipro already has launched its eco-friendly computing system named greenware.
Apple, Samsung, and various other IT companies also have to be quite successful in their recycling programs.
Just by adopting the green computing technology, we will get an eco-friendly environment, all along with various other benefits like energy conservation, cost reduction, and waste minimization.